Top 50 tips for personal development you can start practicing today
Updated: Nov 17, 2021
Personal development is a lifelong journey and never an overnight success. But with that in mind, it's important to implement daily changes that can help you develop.
I like to think of self-development as becoming a better version of yourself and living a more meaningful and happy life.
But, at the end of the day, we all have a different interpretation of what personal development is and it's a very personal concept that is different for everyone.
If you want simple and straightforward tips, check out my list of the top 50.
Disclaimer: This blog post contains affiliate links. As a member of the Amazon Associates program and the ShareAsale program I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
What is personal development?
There are two ways to look at personal development: the first is at the workplace. So, the definition for career development is as follows:
Personal development is a continuous, lifelong process that shapes and improves skills and knowledge in order to maximize effectiveness and continue employability.
There's also self-development which is more focused on personal growth that's about more than just developing career-wise.
Personal development refers to using life-changing habits to grow and improve as an individual.
Changes in your daily habits can improve your life, and help you grow.
Your body and mind will react negatively to stress, for example, if you are under a lot of stress at work. This can manifest as tension in your muscles, and possibly irritability toward those around you.
The good news is that you can manage stress with personal development tips and in time, even eliminate it completely.
For a happier life, you can alter how your body responds to stress, how you react to certain situations, and how you deal with the events in your daily life.
Self-improvement has helped me improve my mental health and overall wellbeing. I stopped wasting time with people who were negative and toxic. I am slowly learning to be less toxic and more positive.
Why is personal development important?
Personal development is essential because it will help you get out of a rut. If you feel down, you know that it can feel like a hopeless situation.
Perhaps you're not sure what to do next, or how to improve your life.
It's easy to get stuck in your life and keep going with the same routine. Go to work, come home to cook dinner, watch TV/movies then go to bed.
These personal development tips can help you live the life of your dreams.
Here's how personal development can help you:
Carves out your personal vision
Personal development is a way to clarify your vision and goals for the future.
It is easier to set goals for yourself and create a plan to reach them.
Once you know what you want to develop or change about yourself, you can know what action to take.
You can improve your skills
Personal development is all about learning and personal growth.
Through education, training, and guidance you can learn from your mistakes and overcome them.
You can identify your true potential
Your hidden potential will be revealed if you put in the effort to improve your skills and abilities.
Because you are able to use your knowledge to the best advantage, you can push your limits and discover new things.
The great thing about potential is that there's always more you can do, you might just not know it yet!
Inspire action and more happiness & satisfaction
Personal development empowers you because it allows you to take charge of your life.
You feel more confident and motivated when there is continuous improvement. You feel more productive and you are happier and overall more satisfied with how your life is going.
Focus on the big picture
Recognizing your faults helps you to hold yourself responsible for them. This self-awareness allows you to see the big picture and not get smug about what is beyond your control.
50 best personal development tips
1. Make a bucket list of all the things you want to achieve. Grab a journal or notebook and start jotting them down into two sections. First, write down immediate goals and then long-term goals.
2. Listen to motivational videos and podcasts. TedTalks are always a good way to learn something new in a short period of time. Listening to others talk on podcasts is also a great way to gain free valuable insight.
3. Do something that makes you nervous or scares you and see how you feel afterward.
4. Make a new friend (s). Meeting some new people can help you evolve as a person. If you surround yourself with high-quality people you will be more like them.
5. Always be honest with yourself and don't try to suppress your true feelings. Try not to fight any negative emotions and instead understand WHY you feel like that.
6. Celebrate victories, even the small ones.
7. Learn new visualization techniques. Imagine yourself taking the steps needed to achieve your goals.
8. Think of each day as a fresh start. Never bring over yesterday's baggage and leave it behind. A new day is a clean slate and you can start over.
9. Don't forget about self-care and create a manageable self-care routine that actually works for you. Pampering yourself is important because your physical and mental well-being is a key part of self-development.
10. Practice meditation for at least 10 minutes a day. If you can't really get into meditation then choose 10 minutes of quiet time.
11. Stop negative thinking. When you feel negative thoughts coming on, breathe and think " I can think positively" over and over again.
12. Practice daily gratitude. Stop every now and then and be thankful and thank the universe (or God if you are religious).
13. Create daily small challenges for yourself and then check them off your list.
14. Put on your favorite music and dance for a few minutes to get your body moving.
15. Walk, skip rope, run, or do some type of exercise to get at least 7.000 steps in per day. It will make you feel healthier.
16. Do something creative like art, puzzles, crafting, sewing, knitting, etc.
17. Drink more water. Aim for 6-10 glasses of water a day.
18. Read more books. Honestly, reading not only improves your vocabulary but it teaches you so many life lessons.
19. Watch some educational content like Youtube videos or documentaries.
20. Sleep for 8 hours a night at least. Feeling well-rested is the first step to a successful day.
21. Upgrade your wardrobe with the pieces you really like.
22. Try a new makeup or hair technique that can upgrade your look. Sometimes, a simple thing like trying a new eyeshadow color can make you feel confident.
23. Don't complain about other people's behavior. Just make sure you improve your own behavior and stay calm knowing you can't really change other people.
24. Have a healthy and nutritious breakfast. Starting off with the right fuel for your body can help you have a good day.
25. Try a new recipe or new food and diversify your food intake.
26. Buy less but invest in more quality pieces that will last longer and make you happier.
27. Take some time to write down routines or things that are no longer serving you and working out for you.
28. Eliminate toxic people in your life. I know, this is very hard and painful but it must be done.
29. Try aromatherapy to feel more relaxed and at ease.
30. Have one slow weekend every month to recharge and refocus. It means you should just take it slow and do things YOU WANT.
31. Treat yourself to something nice once in a while. Don't wait for others to buy you gifts, reward yourself for positive achievements.
32. Clean up and keep your workspace tidy. Spend some time each day cleaning your home so you don't feel like clutter is distracting.
33. Talk to loved ones regularly and make time for them.
34. Create healthier habits when possible. Whether it's swapping out soda for a smoothie or cutting out junk food.
35. Improve your finances by reading more books about financial planning and saving money. It will help you feel better and more secure.
36. Accept feedback but don't get pressured into doing what others want.
37. Learn to say "no" to things that just don't serve you and don't help with your self-development journey.
38. Organize a major closet clear-out and reorganize it so that it doesn't cause you stress. Having things you can actually wear will streamline your morning routine. You can even create a capsule wardrobe if you're into minimalism.
39. Decorate your office or workspace to ensure that it feels welcoming.
40. Do one thing at a time. Don't try to focus on too many tasks at once. Learning time management tricks will make you more efficient.
41. Spend some alone time each week. Unwind, have a tea or coffee routine, eat something delicious and read, write, watch tv, have a bath, or do whatever makes you feel good.
42. Find a mentor who inspires you. Learn from them, read about them, and implement some of their tips and tricks.
43. Sign-up for a few courses and learn something new. If you want to be more successful, you always have to keep on learning.
44. Don't dwell on mistakes. Admit them, accept them, and move on fast.
45. Buy some new workout clothes and try a new routine - whether it's yoga, pilates, spinning, weightlifting, it doesn't matter as long as you try new sports and activities. It will make working out less tedious.
46. Try saying affirmations. I have a list of bedtime affirmations that help you prepare for a good night's sleep. When you say things out loud, your brain listens.
47. Ignore the bad vibes around you. It's hard to keep out negativity but you can actively choose to walk away when people are being mean or rude to you.
48. Spend time caring for pets or plants.
49. Invite abundance into your life by practicing an abundance mindset. Believe that you have enough and you will attract more.
50. Create mood boards and vision boards to feel inspired.
Some of these things seem so basic and so "duh" but we all forget to practice them. A part of growing and evolving is always taking actionable steps towards our goals.
I hope you found these tips useful and now you can make sure you're on the right path to personal development.