20 Easy Ways To Help You Relax Before Bed
Updated: Jul 12
In the era of self-care, we are trying to appreciate ourselves more, to care for our bodies, and to do what's best for our physical and mental health. Realistically though, it can get hard to practice self-care during our busy workdays. One way to incorporate a few aspects of self-care is to practice some relaxing activities at night before we go to sleep. I've compiled a list of 20 easy ways to relax after a long day. #self-care #selfcare #relaxation #relax
- This post contains affiliate links - As an Amazon Associate, I make a commission from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
1. Have a cup of tea
Yes, this is a common one, but a cup of chamomile or lavender tea will calm you down and make you feel cozy. My personal favorites are yogi tea and tulsi tea (holy basil).
This caramel-flavored bedtime tea taste amazing!
Here is the best Tulsi tea to try:
2. Have a hot bath or shower
A shower or bath can help relieve any soreness and tension in your body, which makes you feel more relaxed and more comfortable. Try to use a shower gel or bath bomb that has a scent you love.
3. Burn incense or light a candle
There are some good aromatherapy candles that provide a calming scent. Amazon has some affordable aromatherapy candles that you can use to unwind after a long day.
4. Read at least 20 pages of a good book
Using your handheld devices like a phone or tablet can actually prevent you from getting a good night's sleep. Instead, try reading from a good book. Reading always helps me reset and forget about things that are stressing me out.
5. Meditate or sit in complete silence and think about your goals
Clearing your mind pre-sleep will help you avoid those pestering thoughts that keep popping into your mind as you struggle to fall asleep. Don't forget to just think about something productive and focus on that.
6. Do some yoga or breathing exercises
There are many breathing exercises on Youtube you can do. Yoga helps all your muscles relax but it also keeps your mind clutter-free and healthy. A healthy mindset works miracles on overall wellbeing.
7. Listen to relaxing music
If you like classical music, Mozart always helps - there are playlists on Youtube with 3 or 4 hours of nonstop classical music. If you don't like classical music, try ambient playlists or ASMR.
8. Write down your thoughts or try journalling in a cute notebook
Writing can be therapeutic, especially if it becomes a routine. Use a cute notebook and some nice pens to make it feel like an 'experience'.
9. WATCH AN EPISODE OF A SHOW
Watch one episode of your favorite show but make sure you limit yourself to one or else you’ll get into binging mode, which won't make you feel ready for sleep.
10. Watch & listen to relaxation and ASMR videos on Youtube
11. Try coloring books, sudoku or crosswords
There are some great coloring books for adults that come in sets on Amazon
12. Massage your face with your hands or use a jade roller, it will make your skin feel great
Jade rollers help de-puff your face and improve circulation, which makes your skin look better. Jade rollers are an important part of many Asian skincare routines.
If you use skincare, pamper yourself with masks, serums and face creams - here are some of my suggestions:
Korean Face Masks
Vitamin C Serum
14. If you have pets just sit with them and play with them or pet them
15. Look at photographs from a time in your life when you were really happy
16. Listen to an interesting podcast as you fall asleep
There are tons of good podcasts on all topics but choose a light topic that won't stress you out. Listen to something motivational or an interesting self-development topic.
17. Look out the window and stare at the sky
Look at the stars, the sky, the moon, or whatever it is you can see, even if it’s a boring view, just stare for a few minutes and think.
18. Go for a car ride at night if you can’t sleep
19. Sing out loud to your favorite song
Singing releases endorphins and improves your mood.