20 funny quotes about life as a freelancer
Updated: Nov 4, 2021
If you're a freelancer like me, you've probably come across plenty of funny and even pathetic situations. One of the ways to deal with this (usually) uncertain career path and lifestyle is through humor.
There are plenty of inspirational people who've said some true words and then there are those really funny takes on what it's like to be a freelancer.
Disclaimer: This blog post contains affiliate links. As a member of the Amazon Associates Program and ShareASale, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
Check out these quotes and see how you feel. I hope you smile at least once!
1. "The freelance writer is a man who is paid per piece or per word or perhaps." - Robert Benchley
2. "The biggest mistake is to assume that another writer's successful strategy will work for you, too. Publishers' marketers - and even freelance publicists who cost mega bucks - tend to do the same basic things for all books." - M.J Rose
3. "For the vast majority of my adult life, I was a freelance writer, forever scrambling for work that paid an insulting non-amount." - Jen Sincero
4. "I've never lost that freelance mentality. You can't take a holiday because you're worried the work will dry up." - Charlie Brooker
5. "The only really committed artist is he who, without refusing to take part in the combat, at least refuses to join the regular armies and remains a freelance." - Albert Camus
6. "I'm a freelance writer, and I work alone at a big desk in the living room of my apartment. There are many days when I don't utter a single word to anyone but my husband." - Robin Marantz Henig
7. "Write. Rewrite. When not writing or rewriting, read. I know of no shortcuts." - Larry L. King
8. "Doing nothing is very hard to do… you never know when you’re finished." — Leslie Nielsen
Also check out: For motivation, read up on these 30 inspirational quotes for freelancers.
9. "If you think your boss is stupid, remember: you wouldn’t have a job if he was any smarter." - John Gotti
10. "The best way to appreciate your job is to imagine yourself without one." - Oscar Wilde
11. "I like work; it fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours." - Jerome K. Jerome
12. "I’ve got all the money I’ll ever need, if I die by four o’clock." — Henny Youngman
13. "Where people aren’t having fun, they seldom produce good work." – David Ogilvy
14. "Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard." – Tim Notke
15. "The elevator to success is out of order. You’ll have to use the stairs… one step at a time." - Joe Girard
16. "After Monday and Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF." — Anonymous
17. "There’s a way to do it better. Find it." - Thomas Edison
18. "We Generate Fears While We Sit. We Overcome Them By Action." - Henry Link
19. "Pajamas are your new office attire." - Rosie Allabarton
20. "You may not have one single boss anymore, but you’ll soon notice that instead you’ll have a handful of mini-bosses – your new clients – each with a very specific idea of how that project should be carried out." - Rosie Allabarton
Hope you enjoyed these quotes. I know that the freelance lifestyle can be hectic, stressful, and even scary at times. But, it can also give you freedom, joy, and a purposeful career.