How To Reduce Your Beauty Carbon Footprint Starting Today
Updated: Jul 26, 2019
Those of us who use makeup, skincare, and beauty products know how easy it is to lose track of how many products you buy and own. Let's be honest...we waste so much product. There are so many reasons we create unnecessary waste:
- we buy the wrong products
- we don't like the product
- the shade doesn't match so we buy another product
- we throw away half-empty bottles
- we want to test new products
- we think we need 7 moisturizers when 2 can actually do the job just fine
- we want to have as many eye shadow shades as possible just in case
- we hoard makeup and skincare
- we are influenced by beauty influencers and commercials
Yes, there are even more reasons we waste products but those are just some of the reasons that came to mind. So think about it...how many eyeliners do you need? Is one mascara enough?
Consumers are becoming more conscious of waste, especially food waste and the high environmental cost of fashion, but it seems beauty is still getting a break. The cosmetic industry is still high-waste and environmentally unfriendly in most cases. When you go shopping for beauty items, think about each product before you buy. Here are 10 tips to reduce your beauty carbon footprint:
1. Consider WANT vs NEED - do I really need this product? Do I still have something similar at home that I can use BEFORE I buy something new?
2. Packaging. Is the packaging Eco-friendly, biodegradable, made from recycled waste or reusable?
3. Read the list of ingredients in each product. Choose products with natural, organic, sustainable and cruelty-free ingredients.
4. Use what you have or pass on what you don't like to family/friends because they might like the products.
5. Test makeup at the store before purchasing.
6. Stop using makeup wipes and use a cloth towel and cleanser. Makeup wipes are a disaster for the environment.
Tip: Try affordable cotton washcloths you can use over and over again.
7. Don't fall victim to advertising and influencers. Yes, there are so many new beauty launches each month is can be overwhelming. Watching your favorite influencers or bloggers will make you want to try their recommendations. Buy only the products that REALLY interest you!
8. Make a rule for yourself: don't keep more than 2 or 3 of the same type of products (i.e eye shadow palettes, eyeliners, mascara, primers etc).
9. Recycle all packaging. Be careful where you throw everything and make sure your waste is going into the correct bin.
10. Choose brands that are committed to making a difference and brands that have reduced their carbon footprint. Consider their policies, their manufacturing procedures and where they source ingredients from.