32 Fun summer activity ideas for adults
Updated: May 20
Summer is the perfect time to spend more time outdoors and enjoy the weather. There are plenty of fun activities that adults can do to make the most of this season.
Here are some great ideas to get you started and spoiler alert: not all are outdoor activities, I have some indoor activity ideas too if you're sheltering from the heat.
There's more to summer than lounging on the beach or sitting in the park. Besides those classic activities, I'm sharing some others so you feel inspired to check things off your bucket list.
Disclaimer: This blog post contains affiliate links. As a member of the Amazon Associates Program, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases. As a member of the LTK affiliate program, I earn a commission on qualifying purchases.
List of summer activities for adults
1. Have a picnic in the park – Pack a lunch or dinner and head to your local park for a lovely outdoor meal. Don’t forget to bring a blanket or a mat to sit on.
2. Go for a swim – Take advantage of the warmer weather and go for a swim at your local pool, lake, or beach.
3. Visit a farmers market – Fresh fruits and veggies are in abundance during the summer months. Head to your local farmers' market to stock up on some delicious produce.
4. Go camping – Get back to nature by pitching a tent and spending a night or two under the stars.
Don't forget to get a good tent so you feel comfortable sleeping under the stars.
5. Take a scenic hike – Enjoy the beautiful summer weather by going for a hike in the mountains or woods.
6. Have a backyard BBQ – Fire up the grill and invite some friends over for a summertime BBQ.
7. Go stargazing – On a clear summer night, lay out a blanket and look up at the stars. See if you can spot any constellations.
8. Go on a road trip – Explore new parts of your state or country by taking a road trip. Make sure to plan some fun stops along the way.
9. Attend a music festival – There are often plenty of outdoor music festivals to choose from during the summer. Find one that features your favorite type of music and enjoy a day or night of live tunes.
10. Learn to cook with seasonal produce – Summer is the perfect time to try out new recipes that feature fresh fruits and vegetables. Visit a nearby farm to pick your own produce, then head home and get cooking.
11. Play mini-golf – It’s a classic summer activity for a reason. Whether you’re with friends or family, mini-golf is always a fun time.
12. Go berry picking – Head to a local farm and spend an afternoon picking fresh berries. You can then use them to make pies and jams, or just eat them fresh.
13. Go kayaking or canoeing – Get out on the water and go kayaking or canoeing. This is a great way to enjoy the summer weather and get some exercise at the same time.
14. Pick wildflowers and make a bouquet – Take a stroll and pick some wildflowers to make a pretty bouquet. You can also press them to make pretty stationary.
15. Go on a bike ride – Explore your city or town by going for a leisurely bike ride. This is a great way to get some fresh air and exercise.
16. Play frisbee or catch – Head to the park for a game of frisbee or catch. This is a great activity to do with friends or family.
17. Go fishing – Spend a day relaxingly fishing at your local pond or lake. You can even try your hand at fly fishing.
Don't forget your fishing supplies and if you're a beginner you can get what you need online.
18. Make iced coffees at home – Save money by making iced coffees at home instead of buying them from a coffee shop. Try out different flavors and recipes to find your perfect iced coffee.
19. Make birdhouses – This is a fun DIY project that you can do alone or with family. Once you’re finished, you can hang the birdhouses up around your home or yard.
20. Have a water balloon fight – This is a classic summer activity that’s always enjoyable. Fill up some water balloons and have a blast with your friends or family.
21. Go to an outdoor movie – Many cities have outdoor movie screenings in the summer. This is a great activity to do with a group of friends.
22. Hunt for rocks on the beach or in the park – This is a great activity for kids and adults alike. You can use the rocks you find to make art projects or simply admire them for their beauty.
23. Sit on a patio and people watch – Spend an afternoon sitting on a patio at a nearby café or restaurant and people watch. This is a great way to relax and people watch.
24. Visit museums and art galleries in the evening – Many museums and art galleries offer discounted or free admission in the evenings. This is a great way to enjoy some culture without spending a lot of money.
25. Play badminton or tennis – Get active by playing a game of badminton or tennis. This is a great way to get some exercise and learn a new sport.
26. Visit an amusement park and ride the Ferris wheel - Amusement parks are a classic summertime activity. Visit your local amusement park and take a ride on the Ferris wheel for a great view.
27. Feed ducks or birds at a nearby pond - This is a great activity for kids and adults alike. Head to your local park and feed the ducks or birds. Make sure to bring some birdseed with you.
28. Read a book in a hammock – Spend a lazy afternoon reading a book in a hammock. This is a great way to relax and enjoy the summer weather.
29. Grab a friend or loved one and go wine tasting – This is a great summer activity to do with a friend or loved one. Visit a nearby winery and go wine tasting. This is a great way to relax and learn about different types of wine.
30. Go to a baseball game – Baseball games are a great summer activity. Grab some friends and head to your local baseball stadium to watch a game.
31. Volunteer at a local farm – Spend a day volunteering at a local farm. This is a great way to give back to your community and learn about where your food comes from.
32. Go shopping for new clothing pieces to add to your summer wardrobe - Take advantage of the warmer weather by shopping for some new summer clothes. This is a great way to update your wardrobe and find good deals since there are plenty of sales during the summer.
There you have it - 32 ways to enjoy the season!